this could have ended worse...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 |
about a year ago i made some frames with my friend heather at a craft night. she used to do this all the time. just find idea for crafts, have friends place orders, and meet up. of course, there would be food-because why craft with friends if there wasnt food? she let me join her group for these projects and i only made the frames.
and for whatever reason, i painted mine red with black crackley finish.
nothing in my home matches that.
so for a year they sat in the corner of the craft room, slowly being buried by other un-finished projects, bags of things i got on sale at hobby lobby and empty bags of swedish fish.
then someone thought it would be a good idea to clean the craft room. (that someone was me. i was looking for hidden easter gifts. i got distracted and never finished looking for them.)
now the frames are fine, just painted in the most ugly way possible.
in another move of genius, i thought id paint them cool blue breeze
 (no i dont get paid everytime i use that color and blog about it. but i should!)
and use a white crackley finish on top.
i know-so far so good.
'ba,' you are thinking to yourself, 'how could you mess this up?'
then i went to use the white and realized I HAVE NO CRACKLE FINISH. no fear-i remember reading on the interwebs that you could use white elemer's glue.
so i googled it and yup-you sure can-just water in down a bit.
BACK IN BUSINESS BABY!
then (i know-this is longer than you thought it would be!) i realized that i dont have elmer's.
only gorella wood glue.
so i watered it down and got to work.
mostly because i am extreamely inpatient and i wanted these done NOW!
i should have waited.
or called a friend.
 i have a few and i bet one would happen to have some elmer's glue.
and i bet they would even let me use it.
so it kinda worked out, but not as crackey as i would have liked.
but at least it doesnt look like it belongs on the cover of a twilight book.

ps-you can look at the projects on heathers page, but HOLY CRAP i was fat then! i have lost 20+ lbs since then and look tons better!
Life in the Pitts
























The Trendy Treehouse

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!





























im linking up to someday crafts
and santas gift shoppe and remodleaholic




















giveawaysTransformation Thursday

 Simply Designing







Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Visit thecsiproject.com

11 comments:

Melissa said...

I never knew about the Elmer's glue trick! Thanks for the tip! Also, that shade of blue is very pretty.

Summer Miller said...

I'm sure I have glue somewhere!!!! I bet somewhere in the deep recesses of my storage room I even have crackle paint. If not I will brave the snow and go buy you some!!!!!!! I love that you share your not so perfect projects because it makes me feel sooooo much better about all the half done things I have going on in my house.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great job. I like that finish! Have a super day my friend!

XOXO
Jen

Christy said...

Great tips on 'crackling' ;o). I was planning a project, and I wanted to have that same finish, and I didn't know there was an alternative to going and buying a bottle....so that should save me a time or two. :O) I like the end result of your project, very beachy!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

So cute!! Thanks for linking up!!

The Selleneits said...

I don't think it looks bad at all I like it. And next time call me and I'll help you kill time.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I think that it turned out great in the end! :)

Marianne said...

Oh I have been there! I probably wouldn't have waited either. I think it turned out nice all the same.

KimMalk said...

Much better than the Twilight version! :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

I can totally relate to the crafting impatience! {that's me too!} Love the new color and the crackle method! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

So fun and pretty!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home